This simulation was produced with Medtronic to showcase devices used for this procedure. The products recommended in this simulation are linked below:
Learn the whole procedure with our step-by-step animations on the Touch Surgery™ app.
or scan the QR code below.
1. Jenkins JT, O’Dwyer PJ. Inguinal hernias. BMJ. 2008;336(7638):269-272.
2. Kapoor VK. What are the advantages and disadvantages of open and laparoscopic repair of inguinal hernias? Medscape. https://www.medscape.com/answers/1534281-69854/what-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-open-and-laparoscopic-repair-of-inguinal-hernias. Updated Apr. 16, 2020. Accessed Oct. 19, 2020.
3. Pietrangelo A. Inguinal Hernia Repair. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/inguinal-hernia-repair. Published Dec 6, 2017. Updated Sep. 17, 2018. Accessed Oct. 16, 2020.
4. Hernia. National Health Service Website. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hernia/. Updated Jun. 19, 2019. Accessed Nov. 13, 2020.
5. Burger JW, Luijendijk RW, Hop WC, Halm JA, Verdaasdonk EG, Jeekel J. Long-term follow-up of a randomized controlled trial of suture versus mesh repair of incisional hernia. Ann. Surg. 2004;240(4):578.
6. Luijendijk RW, Hop WC, Van Den Tol MP, et al. A comparison of suture repair with mesh repair for incisional hernia. N. Engl. J. Med. 2000;343(6):392–398.
7. Yang C, Deng S. Laparoscopic versus open mesh repair for the treatment of recurrent inguinal hernia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Palliat Med. 2020;9(3):1164–1173.
8. Eker HH, Hansson BM, Buunen M, Janssen IM, Pierik RE, Hop WC, Bonjer HJ, Jeekel J, Lange JF. Laparoscopic vs open incisional hernia repair: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA surgery. 2013;148(3):259–63.